Residential Reserved Disabled Parking
What is the Residential Reserved Disabled Parking Program?
The Residential Reserved Disabled Parking program provides residents of Baltimore City who qualify for this service the accommodation of better accessibility to the communities in which they live. People with permanent, mobility restricting disabilities who live within Baltimore City should inquire about their eligibility.
This program reserves an on-street parking space for Baltimore City residents who meet the qualifications that are established by Baltimore City Code.
Pursuant to the laws of the City of Baltimore, this accommodation may only be provided to individuals demonstrating acceptable documented medical information from a licensed physician.
- The applicant must have a permanent disability that severely limits their mobility; and
- The applicant cannot have accessible off-street parking such as a driveway, garage, or parking pad on their property; and
- The applicant must be unable to utilize any form of public transportation; relying upon operating a personal vehicle as their sole means of transportation
If an applicant does not meet all three criteria, the applicant is ineligible for a reserved residential parking space.
Application and Review Process
- Download and mail us an application. Our mailing address is 200 W. Lombard Street, Suite B, Baltimore, MD 21201 (Attn: Reserved Residential Handicap Parking).
- If you meet the initial eligibility requirements, a Parking Authority team member will contact you to submit additional paperwork, including six signatures from homeowners on your block. These additional forms will be provided to you to complete your supporting documentation.
- Once your completed application with supporting medical documentation and verifiable signatures is received and reviewed, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment for a telephone interview.
Upon completion of the final review process, a determination will be made as to whether or not you meet the criteria for obtaining a reserved residential disabled parking space. If you do meet all criteria, you will be assigned a space, which is subject to periodic review.
When an applicant does not meet the criteria for the service, they can appeal the decision by doing the following:
- All appeals must be sent in writing within 30 days of the denial
- The appeal should include documentation to support the possible reversal of a denial
- Additional medical documentation that substantiates the need for the service by a physician
- An explanation as to why the required signatures could not be obtained
- An explanation as to why the accessible parking space on the applicant's property cannot be utilized
- Why the applicant deems it essential to have a space in front of the home, when they are not able to drive and, there is no caregiver at the residence that has a vehicle
When is the Renewal Period?
Beginning January 2022, all current permit holders must submit a renewal application during the month in which they first obtained their residential reserved disabled parking permit. This applies to all permit holders, even those who have received a “permanent” disabled placard from the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA). You will receive a renewal packet in the mail at the beginning of the month when it is time to renew. You will have 90 days to return the completed packet.
If you have not received a renewal form in the mail and you think you should have one, please contact our office. Our phone number is 443-573-2800 or 443-573-2825.
We will not review any renewal applications received outside of the correct renewal period. This staggered renewal application process will allow us to serve our customers better. Thank you for your patience as we transition to this new process.
Please note the following:
- The permit holder’s doctor must complete the medical portion of the renewal application.
- All applications must be notarized.
Deadline to Submit Paperwork
Ninety (90) days after receiving the renewal packet.
Please feel free to call or email us with any questions.