Handicap FAQs

  1. What is a Reserved Residential Handicap parking space?
  2. Why do we provide this service?
  3. Who qualifies for this accommodation?
  4. Do I have to renew every year?
  5. How do I get an application?
  6. How long does it take to get my reserved disabled permit parking space?
  7. What is the process to obtain a Reserved Residential Handicap Permit?
  8. Can I speed up this process?
  9. Where can I find a Notary?
  10. Is there an appeal process if I am denied?
  11. How do I get a sign removed?
  12. Who do I call if I have questions about the program?

What Is A Reserved Residential Handicap Parking Space?

A designated on-street parking space located in front of or next to a residential unit is reserved for use by a resident who is permanently disabled and mobility restricted.

(back to top)

Why Do We Provide This Service?

Baltimore City Code mandates this accommodation

(back to top)

Who Qualifies For This Accommodation?

Individuals who are severely and permanently disabled qualify for this program. Your Primary Care Physician must write a letter explaining your disability and how it affects your mobility.

The Parking Authority of Baltimore City administers this program for Baltimore City residents.  If you are a resident of Baltimore County, please call the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration at 1-800-950-1682.

If you have a driveway, garage, or parking pad next to or behind your house, you do not qualify for a reserved on-street parking space.

If you live on a street with parking restrictions (Look for “No Parking” signs), we may not be able to provide this service to you. If you live in a house on the corner, we may be able to place a reserved handicapped parking space on the street beside your house.

Your neighbors, especially your next-door neighbors, must sign a petition allowing you a reserved parking space in front of your house.  

(back to top)

Do I Have To Renew Every Year?

Yes, every year you must renew your permit.  If you do not renew your permit at least 3 months prior to your expiration date, a reminder letter and application will be mailed to you.

(back to top)

How Do I Get An Application?

Call 443-573-2800 to have an application mailed to you, or click here (PDF) to download an application.

(back to top)

How Long Does It Take To Get My Reserved Disabled Permit Parking Space?

Once you are approved for this accommodation, it generally takes 4 to 6 weeks for the signs to be installed by the Department of Transportation.

(back to top)

What Is The Process To Obtain A Reserved Residential Handicap Permit?

Click here for a timeline of the process.

(back to top)

Can I Speed Up This Process?

Yes, please make sure you have your application notarized and include all the necessary documentation including:

  • A full explanation of your disability and how it affects your mobility from your primary care physician
  • Six signatures from your neighbors
  • We verify each signature with a phone call.
  • The consent of your abutting neighbors is particularly important.

(back to top)

Where Can I Find A Notary?

Your bank or credit union or your employer may have a notary on staff.

(back to top)

Is There An Appeal Process If I Am Denied?

Yes, if you are denied this accommodation, you will be mailed a letter with an explanation of the decision, grounds upon which an appeal can be submitted, and instructions on how to submit your appeal.

(back to top)

How Do I Get A Sign Removed?

If you would like to have a Reserved Residential Handicap parking space removed, please call the Reserved Residential Handicap Manager at 443-573-2800.

(back to top)

Who Do I Call If I Have Questions About The Program?

Please call the Reserved Residential Handicap Manager at 443-573-2800 with any questions.

(back to top)