Required Customer Documents

To obtain a residential parking permit, every year an applicant must provide the following:

  1. Proof of residency
  2. Current vehicle registration

Additional documents may also be required. 

Permits are only valid for use by the vehicle with the license plate number issued at the time of sale. A replacement permit is needed upon a change of vehicle or license plate.

The following documents must be presented to the Parking Authority of Baltimore City at the time of permit pick-up:

1. Current Vehicle Registration With RPP Eligible Address:

MVA issued vehicle registration is required

Exceptions/Exclusions are:

  • Enrollment in a local educational institution 
    • Applicant must provide a copy of the school registration or student identification for the current year, with proof of residency, and current vehicle registration.  This only applies to students with Maryland vehicle registrations and a Maryland driver’s license
  • A member of the Armed Forces
    • Applicant must provide Armed Forces Identification Card, with proof of residency and current vehicle registration.
  • Sufficient notarized documentation to certify the exclusive use of a vehicle not registered in the applicant’s name.
    • Applicant must provide proof of residency and current vehicle registration.
    • If the vehicle's driver has the same last name as the vehicle owner, they do not need a notarized letter.
  • Dual residency 
    • See the provisions below.
  • Leased vehicles 
    • The leasing agreement (contract) must be presented with vehicle registration with proof of residency. Your vehicle may need to be registered in-state at your RPP address to be compliant with local/state laws.

Please Note: Maryland Law prohibits local authorities from issuing an RPP permit valid for more than 60 days to any vehicle registered outside of Maryland, unless the owner of the vehicle has obtained a Maryland MVA Nonresident Permit. A copy of the processed MVA Nonresident Permit application (form VR-111) must be presented to the Parking Authority of Baltimore City (PABC) to obtain an RPP permit that is valid for more than 30 days. A Nonresident Permit must be presented along with any other required documentation. For MVA Nonresident Permit application information please contact the MVA office at (800) 950-1682.

2. Proof of Residency

Must be presented each time a resident obtains a permit.

One of the following documents is required to prove residency:

  • Driver's license
  • Current vehicle registration
  • Current lease (must be signed by all parties)
    • Month to month or an automatic renewal lease requires additional documentation. Verbal confirmation is unacceptable. Permit requests are not processed through the mail.
    • Customers showing a lease as proof of residency are still subject to relevant laws limiting the number of permits that may be issued to a residence. Please bring a copy of your lease that clearly identifies all persons residing in the dwelling unit or you may be denied permits.
    • Sub-lease agreements that are not signed by the landlord must be accompanied by the original signed lease.
  • Settlement papers or current property tax bill
  • Landlord's notarized statement
  • MVA identification card and current house phone bill, utility bill, or cable bill (less than 30 days old showing applicant's name and address). Utility or cable bills may be presented on a smartphone if the following standards are met.
  • All print must be clearly visible
  • The display must show the address and the customer’s name
  • The document must be a bill for utility or cable services


RPP Decals must be permanently affixed to the lower left-hand corner of the vehicle's windshield. Decals must be affixed by the decal’s own adhesive to the vehicle for which it was issued. Display of a decal that is not affixed, affixed with glue or tape, or affixed through other temporary means, will be considered invalid and subject to fines and penalties and/or loss of privileges.

Visitor permits are issued solely to residents for the use of visitors to their residence. Visitor permits must be displayed in full view, face-up on the driver's side of the vehicle's dashboard. Please refer to the reverse side of your Visitor Permit for more information and regulations governing the use of Visitor Permits.

Visitor Permits may not be laminated. Laminating a Visitor Permit will render the permit void. Vehicles displaying a laminated Visitor Permit may be ticketed or towed.

Permit Expiration. All permits, whether purchased at renewal time or through the course of the year, will expire on the date indicated on the face of the permit unless otherwise extended or voided by the Parking Authority of Baltimore City.


Effective July 1, 2001, Maryland Law authorizes the Executive Director of the Parking Authority to issue a Residential Parking Permit to a person who owns and occupies a residential property in a residential parking permit area in the City regardless of whether the person has registered the vehicle in the State or has obtained a nonresidential permit.  To qualify, an applicant must show all other required documentation, proof of homeownership in the City of Baltimore (property tax bill), and proof of residence at their address outside their RPP area.  Customers must also provide:

  • Current utility bill for both properties that clearly identifies customers name.
  • If you own both properties, you must provide a current property tax bill for both properties

Off-Street Parking Requirement:

Areas 8, 9 and 37 have off-street parking requirements. If you have an off-street parking space, you are not eligible for a decal for the first car. If you have a second or third car you can get a decal if:

  • You present the registration for the vehicle parking in the off-street space (even though that car is not eligible for a decal).
  • The vehicle housed in the off-street space is being used by a current resident and proof of residency is provided (if the vehicle is registered in a non-resident's name, see the above section on driving a vehicle registered in another person’s name).
  • If you have more than one off-street space, you must follow the same process for each off-street space and show it is being used by a resident before decals may be released. 


Please call (443) 573-2800 or email us.

Temporary Permits

Temporary permits may be provided to permit applicants that have proof of residence and valid vehicle registration but do not have the additional required documentation for issuance of a permanent decal.

Temporary permits are provided as a courtesy to residents, allowing time to obtain the additional required documentation.

Temporary permits are issued for either 30 days or 60 days.

30-day temporary parking permit may be issued when a permit applicant has proof of residence and valid vehicle registration but lacks the following documentation when applying for an RPP Permit/Decal:

1)      Notarized letter 

  • If the vehicle is not registered to the permit applicant, a notarized letter from the registered owner, providing authorization to operate the vehicle, must be obtained.
  • The letter should include the make, model, and VIN number along with the signature of the owner. 
  • Each RPP customer is only permitted to obtain one permit with a notarized letter.
  • The letter must be signed and dated no more than 6 months from the day of the permit application. Any notarized letter that is older than 6 months will not be accepted. 
  • A template to use can be downloaded here.

2)       Current student ID –Students who own a vehicle registered in Maryland must provide verification that they are currently enrolled in school. Students with vehicles registered in Maryland are not required to update their address of record with the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) as most other Maryland residents are required.

3)      Non-resident permit – If a vehicle is registered in any state other than Maryland, and the permit applicant is not documenting residency with a Maryland Driver's license, the permit applicant must obtain a non-resident permit from the MVA. The non-resident permit or receipt from the MVA for the non-resident permit must be provided to the PABC Associate or at the community pick-up before a permanent (annual) permit/decal will be issued.   

4)      Military ID - A military ID must be shown to verify that an applicant is either active or reserve duty. Active members of our nation’s military, who own and operate a vehicle registered in Maryland, are not required to update their address of record with the MVA; most other Maryland residents are required to do so.

60-day temporary parking permit may be issued when a permit applicant has proof of residence and a valid vehicle registration but lacks the following documentation when applying for an RPP Permit/Decal:

1)      Change of address card – If the vehicle is registered in the permit applicant’s name and the applicant is NOT a student, military, or a dual resident (dual residents own and occupy a home in an RPP area and own/rent another property) then state law requires that the applicant change their address with the Maryland MVA.

2)      Change of vehicle registration – If a vehicle is registered in any state other than Maryland and is registered in the applicant’s name, and the applicant is NOT a student, dual resident, or active military, the applicant must register the vehicle in the state of Maryland.

Temporary permits may be issued in special circumstances such as:

1)      Car Rentals – Residents can receive a FREE temporary permit for a rental car as long as the applicant shows the rental car agreement with the end date printed on it. The temporary permit will expire on the same end date.  Proof of residence must also be provided.

2)      Short-Term Work- The resident must show a letter from their employer on company letterhead that verifies the specified work period.  The work period must be less than 60 days and proof of residence must still be provided.


All permits are $20 each. The Parking Authority accepts the following forms of payment:

  • Check
  • Credit Card
  • Money Order

All temporary permits must be returned to the Parking Authority (with the formerly lacking required documents that necessitated the temporary permit) to obtain a permanent decal. If the temporary permit is not returned, there will be a charge of $20 for the decal.

PABC Office Location

200 W Lombard Street, Baltimore, MD 21201

PABC Office is at 200 W Lombard Street

Free parking at Arena Garage only

The garage entrance is at 99 S. Howard Street, around the corner from our office (not across the street). 

Arena Garage Map

When returning to your car, enter through one of the pedestrian doors. To unlock the door, swipe your parking ticket with the stripe side up on the control equipment next to the door. The door will unlock but does not automatically open. Watch our YouTube video for instructions.

Unlocking pedestrian door video still